Saturday, May 9, 2009

To My Mother

On this Mother's Day, I wanted to recognize my own mother. This time of year rolls around and for me, it can feel a little tender. Then I think of the many who have mothered me in this life and I feel gratitude. For Grandma Snow, for Cath, for Leslie, for Cecile, for Marilyn, for my many Young Women leaders, for my friends mothers, for my friends, for my sister, for my sisters in law......thank you. The power of being a woman, especially one who listens to her own soul, is a power for unbelievable promise and goodness, both in the world we live in today and long into the eternities.
My mother has shown me many, many faces of motherhood. I have watched as she has allowed being a mother to change and mold her. I have learned that saying "I Love You" when you are a mother can come in a variety of colors and flavors. Some of my favorites from my Mom were.....
*Because I'm the Mom and I said so
*I love you, Feather
*Well, maybe you should......or you could......what if you did......did you think about.....??????
*Let me help you
*No
*Want to come?
*Thank you
*Absolutely
*My kids come first
*I miss you
*Eat some protein!
*Here's some play money
*Remember to take care of you
*You need a cat
*Of course you can bring it home
*Eat some protein.......then eat some more
*Watch the sweets
*Have fun and be careful
*I'm sorry

In a day when it's so much easier to blame it on Mom than take from her all the goodness that is there and grow from it, I am grateful for a Mom who said no. I am grateful for a Mom who missed me. I am grateful for her ability to share and give. I know that first and only because it was instilled in me as a little girl. To this day, I have a hard time receiving from her because she is SO generous. It's been a learning curve to me, that when it comes to Mom, love is just there.....it isn't earned. Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I love you so very much. I am grateful to be your daughter and these days when someone says "You look just like your Mother" I grin inside.

No comments: