My Grandma Snow
Grandma Snow is 91 1/2 years old as of January 12th. She was born at the tail end of WWI and has seen many things in her life.
- I have one very early memory of Grandma. I was about 3 and either not feeling well or couldn't sleep. She came in (we were staying with her in California) and picked me up and carried me down the hall, all the while singing into my ear.
- Grandma is very optimistic. She's always had a little bit of lower back trouble but as she has gotten older, it's gotten a lot worse. She's never one to cry and bemoan everything and when she mentions on the phone that she's had a little back pain, I know it's more than just a little. She loves to see the bright side to things.
- Her hair! She's in her 90's and still has mostly black hair. It's very unfair and I had BETTER have gotten that gene. It's odd to look at pictures of her when she was in her 60's and 70's and still has a full head of thick, black hair. I did get my hair from her, and for that I am grateful.
- She loves it when I read scriptures to her. She always has. As her vision isn't super these days, she loves to have her daughters or granddaughters read her the scriptures. Grandma appreciates those simple things and I just love her for it.

- She is fiercely defensive of our Savior and his Gospel. I see quite often, that Grandma and I are cut from the same cloth. Even in our weaknesses, I see this, and it is still endearing. Many patterns even regarding the church we both have had in our lifetimes. Callings and our husbands working for the church are just a few. I think I inherited my grandma's sense of love and devotion for my Savior as well as enjoying service in the Church.
- She can still out spell me. It's amazing. I keep waiting for her to get old and senile and it just isn't happening. We both were quite the spellers in school and won competitions. To this day, when we work on puzzles together, it's rare that she's ever wrong with a spelling of a word.
- Grandma was quite the disciplinarian I hear, when her kids were growing up. I have loved watching life soften her. The same principles and values haven't changed, but life has caused her to soften and to be gentler on herself and others. I love that in her. I love to see her be kind and reach out to those around her, wherever she may be. I love you Grandma and I am so glad you are mine!
No comments:
Post a Comment