Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Week

So I was tagged to carry the whole Mother's Day theme throughout the week this week. Each day, as I started Sunday with my own mom, I wanted to honor other moms I see and know.
My Cousin Leslie
We are the oldest of our mother's children, who are sisters, one being the oldest the other (mine) being the youngest. We are 16 years apart and have one of the easiest relationships I've ever known. She's an amazing picture of womanhood as well as motherhood. SO....here's to you Leslie.
  • She is very nearly, ALWAYS happy. Sometimes when people first meet Leslie, they think her optimism is insincerity. It isn't. She's really upbeat most all of the time. Sometimes when she'll apologize for being a little grumpy one morning I pretend to know what she's talking about because her grumpy is the equivalent of someone else's good day.
  • She loves being a mom. Now, every mom says this, because it's probably true.....but I watch Leslie truly enjoy her children. Even when they are freaking out about hair, or friends, or business ventures. She enjoys and loves ALL of them in all their stages. She's very objective about how funny some of it is and yet very understanding of how big it can feel to break your pocketknife to an 8 year old.

  • She's very fun. When they first moved into their new house, somehow the water didn't work properly. So we got to head to the laundry-mat to do 7 peoples laundry. It took FOREVER. But when I look back on it, I just remember laughing and getting fun treats and enjoying the time we had together.

  • She's full of faith. Leslie really expects the best case outcome to most anything. Whether it's a problem or a trial, she knows there's a reason and she knows it won't last forever. I rarely see her get too overwhelmed by something in this world. She just knows it will work out.

  • She's very kind. I have watched her deal with all kinds of people. In her job she deals with all kinds of personalities and all kinds of conflicts, generally over money. I watch her handle herself and each person with kindness and respect and still manages to keep it all in check. I watch her with family members, that I would like to punch, and she is understanding and kind and yet, and clear about boundaries.

  • She loves the Savior. Leslie's methods, in the many years I have known her, haven't always been the most orthodox. She doesn't always run with the crowd and oft times that can bring some unfair judgement and criticism. Her response is always to follow her own heart and to return it with kindness. I admire her to have the courage to be who she is, and allow others the same gift when it isn't often extended to her. Her understanding of the Gospel and her love of Deity is something I strive to see better in myself each day. I am grateful for her and I love her very much!

No comments: