Friday, August 21, 2009

Happy Birthday President Monson

Even though we all knew it was coming, it was a difficult transition for me after President Hinckley died. Not because he was, as for some, the only Prophet they had ever known but because he felt so sincere, so accessible. His ability to laugh and be so happy, is such a trademark of President Hinckley.
Although he was ordained to the Quorum of the Twelve at such a young age (36) it has been interesting to watch President Monson take on the mantle of Prophet. At his first news conference with the newly organized 1st Presidency, he seemed tired and distracted and I can only imagine the weight of the mantle he now carried. It has been inspiring to me to see him feel the weight of what the Lord has asked of him, and to see him jump in with both feet.....willingly.
I am grateful for a Prophet who loves the Lord, who loves His people, and who knows how very interesting it can be to live today. To the sweet man who loves the color yellow, going to a jazz game (see below--I think Sister Monson was rooting for the Lakers), eating at Little America, adores chocolate, and reminds me of Telly Monster on Sesame Street, Happy 82nd Birthday! We love you!
A tender moment with a Conference attendeeHis first news conference with his newly called counselors (probably laughing at all the sleepless nights they've all shared)

2 comments:

Cameron and Amy said...

Okay, you totally made me laugh when you said he reminds you of Telly. It is true! I've never thought about it, but I can see it! Funny!

Jenn said...

Not everyone knows Telly so that's very fun for me that you know him! ;o)