This last entry is for my Uncle Bill. Bill is the most constant man in my life for many reasons, not the least of which is just sheer numbers. He's been the one man in my life who has known and loved me since birth. He baptized me, he was with me when I went through the temple for the first time, when I got married, he's been one of my Dads from the beginning. When I got married and my Dad was so sick, I knew I could call on Bill and he would move right into that place without any hesistation. He has always been good about stepping in when he knew I needed a Dad.....sometimes before I even knew I needed him. I have watched him settle into himself over the years and I have always been profoundly grateful for his love, for his counsel, for his guidance, for the husband he is, the father he is, and the grandfather he is. Here are some things I love about him.....
- He's generous--with time, with money, with patience
- He has huge, teddy bear hands......sometimes I think I would feel the most safe just crawling into them and never leaving
- He's a marvelous hugger--I always get a big hug before and after I visit.....I love that
- He's extremely partiotic and deep feelings about our flag
- He's a vetran--my aunt told me that when we were at our family reunion she talked to a man who had served under him and told my aunt that he's never served under a man who is so duty oriented and yet, so respectful and kind
- He loves a treat after dinner
- He is more concerned about feelings than things--last year at Bear Lake, I sucked up a plastic bag riding Bill's brand new Jetski. I came back down to the beach and it's smoking and I felt my stomach drop to my knees. I walked over there to offer both of my kidneys to pay for it and he put his arm around me, pulled me close and said, "We are NOT going to worry about this." Luckily, we got the plastic out and all is fine, but I learned that day one imporant lesson that I hadn't quite known to that depth before.......I mattered. I mattered more than his brand new toy.....and it has made me feel differently about myself since.
- He is never afraid to ask about my life......all the details and even those things that are tender. He wants to know all those parts of my world and of me and it communicates great love as he has earned the right to ask.
- We have this banana joke that is now in it's 15th year. He lost a bet about where bananas come from and now he calls me his "Little Ecuadorian Banana"
- He's a sweetheart to his sweetheart
- I love to hear him pray
- I know I can go to him for help.....anytime
For all the Dads in this world who make it brighter and better by loving the women in them, thank you.....you will be the difference in the generations to come. For my brother, my brother-in-laws, my Dads, my Uncles, my Grandpas......I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment