Saturday, July 24, 2010

A City.....of Rocks?

Zachary, my youngest brother came to our house for a few days. We decided to take one day and head up to the City of Rocks. Lame, you think? I thought that too when I heard the name. Then I realized it wasn't far from our house and there isn't anything too cool around Burley, Idaho, so I wasn't prepared to enjoy my time. However, it's a national park, so why not check it out. Other than lacking a significant body of water anywhere nearby, it really is cool. Really. It looks like something out of a prehistoric land and the rock formation are some of the most unique I've ever seen in my travels. This is a shot taken from the west side. You actually come in on the east, but I like this shot best. I wish I can pan around and show you the whole valley. It's much better than this photo.
One of our latest finds.....this rock formation that felt like a little house more than just a rock. Perfect for resting in the shade. My brother, Zachary, found this and it's so cool inside!
We went to the very top of the park to work our way down. This formation is called, very appropriately, Loaves of Bread. There were some climbers and "repellers" on top and so I snapped a shot of these brave people. My stomach flip flops just looking at these pictures! Can you see the little, tiny person on top???This photo was taken on top of Treasure Rock. When you get to the very top, our car was about 1/8 of an inch. It's crazy! Because of the quality of the granite, however, it makes the rocks almost sticky. I was surprised just wearing my Keens how easily I could climb.
This one is called Window Arch. It's a favorite of mine. Darren is also a favorite of mine, so it's perfect. It was such a nice day to hike, feed a chipmunk, enjoy the sun, and drink in the beauties and grandeur of this planet we live on. To share it with 2 of the most important people in the world to me, was bliss!

No comments: