Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Week....continued

As a continued celebration of fathers this week, I wanted to add Darren's Dad, Terry. When I first met Darren, I had already known his parents because the ward I had moved into, Darren's Dad was the Bishop. I loved him immediately and he was patient with me as feeling comfortable in a new ward didn't come right away. When I began dating Darren and then we became engaged, we were talking in Dad's office about a few pre-wedding things. One of which was what to call my new in-laws. I had seen many difficulties between parents and new daughter-in-laws and I wanted to create a different experience, so when he suggested I call him "Dad" if I felt comfortable, I knew "Dad" it was. Plus, how do you go from "Bishop" to "Terry?" It all worked out, but there are many reasons I love him, and here are just a few:
  • He's much like my Dad.....very patient and kind
  • He's funny--and when I tease him about things, even though he might want to kill me, he's very fun to laugh with
  • His taste in hats.....sigh. See picture below for evidence :o)
  • His good nature
  • His love for buying random things at the grocery store (like pomegranate juice....remember that Dad? Mom was so bugged. I still laugh at that)
  • His willingness to be the travel agent for the entire world (I'm sure he's tired of that role, but I always feel safe when I know Dad has been the planner)
  • He's always game to try something new
  • We both love Keva
  • Like my mom, he's a movie buff
  • He loves animals.....I never have to worry about Oliver when he comes to visit
  • The only time I ever see his feathers get ruffled is when he is losing a game.....tennis, board games, cards (which isn't very often, let me tell you. However, he has yet to play Snatch again with me after I beat him last time)
  • He's unbelievably generous (in our years of health issues and baby issues, Dad has come to me more than once to offer to help us financially in adoption. Although, thus far, it's been fruitless, it's spoke volumes to me that he would approach me on it and be willing to help)
  • He has very pretty eyes
  • When he's dressed for church, especially in his black suit.......he looks just smashing--I think Dad has gotten more handsome as he has gotten older. Not true for everyone, but true for Dad

I love you Dad......a bunch. Thank you for all you do for me and for our family. It doesn't go unnoticed.This is Dad on our last trip to DC, right outside the National Cathedral. We found him outside, with his little hat on, reading the newspaper while trying to feed a squirrel part of his granola bar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've done a great job of describing some of my favorite traits about Dad as well. Love those pics of him, too! I haven't seen those before...