Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Favorite Things.....about Christmas 2008

Can I do this if it's into January? Okay, let's give it a try......
We spent Christmas in Idaho Falls with my family this year. It is nice not having our families close in proximity, so you can just home base it one place.

#1--Seeing old friends
I had the chance to see a very dear and old friend while I was in IF this year. I ran by her house to see her and give her a little Christmas token, as I had been running errands when she stopped by my mother's house. We have known each other since I was about 17 or so. As I thought about it, I have known her almost longer now, than I haven't. Whenever we get together, it's a homecoming and I am grateful for her great influence and goodness in my behalf. Cecile, you are a Christmas blessing!

#2--Giving More, Giving Deeper
Every year, Darren and I help with Christmas for a family with children. As we haven't experienced that blessing in our home, it is a gift to be able to bless the lives of other children. This is my MOST favorite part of Christmas......and for me, is a close reflection of bringing gifts to another child, many many years ago.

#3--Family Council
The mere words bring a shudder within and the sound of dramatic organ music being played in the back ground. This was not our favorite experience as children, growing up. We thought it should have been named instead "What Isn't Working In Our Family" meeting. However, this year was different. My mom did a great job of getting to the point, and being clear and upbeat about it. Although some things brought up a little pain for a few of us, it still was a good time to take a look, be accountable, be kind, and then play afterwards......I am thankful for that.

#4--Fire
I LOVE LOVE LOVE fire......at girl's camp, at home, anywhere. The Lord cleansing the earth by fire, is sounding pretty good to me. Especially if it's in the winter time! :o) My parents have a fire place that they use a lot during the winter, and I just love it. It's warm, it's inviting, and I can sit there long after everyone is in bed............meditating while getting my toes warm.

#5--Growth and Healing
My sister was married over the Christmas break. As I pondered how far Amber has come in her own journey of healing and allowing, I realized how much she has grown. I haven't seen her so happy or healthy in a long time. It's odd to think that in just a couple of years, all of us will be adults. No more children in our family, with the exception of the next generation. With all our diversity, I am so impressed and touched when I see my siblings grow and embrace accountability and healing.......it's inspiring and makes me want to be better.

1 comment:

Cameron and Amy said...

That love of fire sounds pretty serious. Darren- you might want to hide the matches! HaHa.

Cam