Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thanksgiving.....Sigh

Dear Thanksgiving,
I love, love, really love YOU. This really had nothing to do with the food component at all, as much as a how devoted you are to gratitude and beautiful colors. Colors that feed my soul. Ironically, with how crazy busy the last couple of months have been, I've neglected you. My goal was to focus better this year, and turn some of that gratitude into action, instead of just making lists of reasons I love you and the many ways you have been a blessing to me.
Years ago, when I was scared and alone in Washington DC, I chose to start a "journal" of a different kind. I decided that the best defense against the loneliness and homesickness was focusing on you. So I did. Each day I would write in my journal, something that I was thankful for. Truly Thankful. None of this lip service stuff. Since then, with Elder Eyring's suggestion, I have turned it into a book of "Noticing Ways the Lord Has Touched My Life Today" book. Mmmmmmm.....it has helped. I hope it will be instrumental in helping me be better. I've got much to work on and there are so many ways I fall short.......that's a long list, that one. But I'm longing to do it better. So, Thank You, Thanksgiving......for turkey, for pilgrims, for Indians, for peace, for love, for family, for forgiveness, for friends, for animals, for babies, for an education, for an America, for music, for laughter, and for you.
Your friend,
J
P.S. I don't know how I can eat one of these this year, now that I have seen one in person. They are so beautiful! Really, a glorious bird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

I loved reading your post. This really is the most wonderful time of the year and such a great opportunity to remember each and every blessing that we have.

I am sorry I didn't get to see you a couple of weeks ago at the Home Ranch Ward (it is so weird to call our parents' ward the Home Ranch Ward). We were so late, and I just loved that my family headed right up to the front row. :-) I hope everything is going great with you in your neck of the woods. Have a wonderful holiday season. :-)

Kristen