Somehow this year, I managed to forget that Father's Day was the very next Sunday after my birthday. I'm not sure where my brain is lately, but it dawned on me yesterday that I haven't sent anything. To my fathers, heap big apologies.
I realize that today, many people don't have just one father. Or maybe they just don't have one "dad". I don't know. Children's lives are filled with a "real" dad, a step-dad (at least one), a father-in-law, and then sometimes, if they are lucky.....a father figure who chooses to be a strengthening part of their lives.
I've always felt that the role of "Dad" in my life, came to me in parts. And I guess I know the ideal and yet if all of those parts love me, I'm eternally grateful for that. And they do.
I have a friend who has a profound relationship with her dad. Whenever we would hang out together, or today when I read her blogs, I feel a sense of longing for her experience. I am also grateful for those who chose to be part of my world because they wanted to be. And that is plenty and to spare.
One of the many things I love about my father-in-law is inability to judge others along with his ability to take anyone in stride. He's steady. He's gentle. He's available. I have yet to hear him tear down another human being, in person or in conversation. He seems to find the best in people or waits until it appears. I am sure he did this with me. This is not to say we haven't had to work through some things or that at times we've had to find our own place together, but there have been many times I have been more than unfair. I love you, Dad. Thank you for the gift of you.
My parents surprised me with an iTouch this year for my birthday. It isn't something I had really ever considered. My Dad picked it out, after some guidance from my mother (who is so good at knowing what I might like). My Dad loves Glenn Beck. I love to make fun of him for loving Glenn Beck. I love to make kissing sounds when Glenn is on, ask my Dad how he envisions his wedding day with Glenn, tease him that I accidentally deleted the recording of Glenn's show while he was at work, and on and on. For Father's Day this year, my brother and I went in on a Glenn Beck shirt for him. Not much tickles him, but this did.
As I thought about a man that would willing adopt a child that isn't his, and whom he is barely getting to know, I am grateful for him more each year. I have to sometimes remember a day when life felt more unsettling and worrisome. It feels constant now, especially pertaining to him. I've never seen him upset, he never raises his voice, he always has an arm to put around me, and even amidst some serious health trials, manages to maintain a patient attitude and a humorous outlook on life. I love you, Dad. And so does Glenn. :)
I can't acknowledge tomorrow without a post for my uncle. My mother's sister's husband, mind you. Uncle by marriage and being the one consistent priesthood holder in my life. My uncle Bill has been a part of my life from the beginning, but he's been a constant part of all those rites of passage in church life. He baptised me, he was with me my first time through the temple, he was there was I was married and was ready to be a witness should my dad's health prevent him from being at the temple. Throughout my life, the constant was Grandpa Snow and Bill. Grandpa Snow passed away a few years ago and I felt a part of my history go with him.
I love my uncle Bill. I am so grateful for his influence and strength in my young life. Today, I am a better person because of the person he was for me. I love you Bill.
I realize that today, many people don't have just one father. Or maybe they just don't have one "dad". I don't know. Children's lives are filled with a "real" dad, a step-dad (at least one), a father-in-law, and then sometimes, if they are lucky.....a father figure who chooses to be a strengthening part of their lives.
I've always felt that the role of "Dad" in my life, came to me in parts. And I guess I know the ideal and yet if all of those parts love me, I'm eternally grateful for that. And they do.
I have a friend who has a profound relationship with her dad. Whenever we would hang out together, or today when I read her blogs, I feel a sense of longing for her experience. I am also grateful for those who chose to be part of my world because they wanted to be. And that is plenty and to spare.
One of the many things I love about my father-in-law is inability to judge others along with his ability to take anyone in stride. He's steady. He's gentle. He's available. I have yet to hear him tear down another human being, in person or in conversation. He seems to find the best in people or waits until it appears. I am sure he did this with me. This is not to say we haven't had to work through some things or that at times we've had to find our own place together, but there have been many times I have been more than unfair. I love you, Dad. Thank you for the gift of you.
My parents surprised me with an iTouch this year for my birthday. It isn't something I had really ever considered. My Dad picked it out, after some guidance from my mother (who is so good at knowing what I might like). My Dad loves Glenn Beck. I love to make fun of him for loving Glenn Beck. I love to make kissing sounds when Glenn is on, ask my Dad how he envisions his wedding day with Glenn, tease him that I accidentally deleted the recording of Glenn's show while he was at work, and on and on. For Father's Day this year, my brother and I went in on a Glenn Beck shirt for him. Not much tickles him, but this did. As I thought about a man that would willing adopt a child that isn't his, and whom he is barely getting to know, I am grateful for him more each year. I have to sometimes remember a day when life felt more unsettling and worrisome. It feels constant now, especially pertaining to him. I've never seen him upset, he never raises his voice, he always has an arm to put around me, and even amidst some serious health trials, manages to maintain a patient attitude and a humorous outlook on life. I love you, Dad. And so does Glenn. :)
I love my uncle Bill. I am so grateful for his influence and strength in my young life. Today, I am a better person because of the person he was for me. I love you Bill.
No comments:
Post a Comment