Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Birthday, Cecile

I am very behind in my blogging efforts.......to catch up, a birthday blog.
Cecile is one of my oldest and dearest friends. I think it's safe to assume that she won't murder me for posting mostly camping pictures, but when we did anything else, neither of us remembered a camera. I think the bravest test of friendship is looking horrible in pictures and loving every minute of it because of who is in that picture with you.
I'm pretty sure she had a secret staff of salon elves somewhere in her tent, because I actually LOOK like I'm camping. This one is the summer before I left for Washington, DC. It was tradition for us to get a picture together by the cabins before we left. Although the quality of this picture is horrible, thanks to my old 110 film, the message in it is clear. I was at home here. Both in the mountains and with Cecile's arm around me. For someone so sweet, with such a love of the gospel and a true and deep relationship with her Savior, all of which changed my life......she's also one of the most hilarious people I've ever met. This photo was taken in the same exact place, the summer after I returned from DC. I was only home for 3 or so months before moving again to Bountiful. I think Cecile was the camp director and I her camp assitant, whatever that means. I think it's a calling created by her to get me up to Darby to torture me while there. Every. single. year. of camp, fell on the week of my birthday. Cecile came up with new ways to celebrate. One year, she put little treats all over my sleeping bag, and totally unbeknownst to me....pine cones IN my sleeping bag. So you get all warm by the fire, run to get into bed, to find you aren't alone. I believe I had helpers duct taping her in the cabin. This would be the only evidence that she was camping.....the monster fire she had going, and the famous, Brady Bunch 70's Jacket. It isn't camaflouge.....not even close, in case you are wondering. I am smiling way too big in this but of course, Cecile made a comment here, which made laugh, right when Darren took the picture, while she sits there looking angelic. Completely misleading. Some times we live our lives by working, teaching, cooking, cleaning, moving, etc....and many times we look back and think " where did the time go" quickly followed by "where have I made a difference." Or sometimes we look at our lives today and realize where we are on our journey and feel profoundly grateful for the blessings that surround us and the people that love us and the trials we've triumphed. But sometimes in looking at today, we forget the people that picked us up when we were down, dusted us off, looked us in the eye, voiced their love, and walked awhile with us. It's important to let them know, and to say thank you. So, Cecile....thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those camp pictures bring back such fun memories of Darby. Those were some really fun days. Hope you are doing well! :)

Jenn said...

Oh, they do, don't they??? I just look so lovely in all of them too. I have a couple of you in them and you don't look like you are camping either, Kristen. Not fair! I hope you guys are good. It seems like forever since we've chatted! I was going to tell you too, that I cannot seem to look at your blog anymore. Did it change?

Anonymous said...

Hi! We actually decided to take a break from blogging for a while. We had so many weird people contacting us. We might try it again, but it is kind of nice to not have to worry about keeping up with it right now.

All the Darby pictures of me and my big permed hair that I always had are scary. :)